Fleur Green

This is a record of my studies and travels from 2006.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

My response to To the Earth by Frederic Rzewski...

After a 2 year break, I've started relearning some music... An old favourite, "To the Earth" for 4 terracotta pots and voice by Frederic Rzewski. I dug around my research for the piece and found a poem that I wrote as an introduction to this stunning piece. I called the poem "hello"

In this earth where man makes and makes and makes, and quite often makes a mess, we sometimes forget the earth has already made.

Perhaps we have forgotten that nature is violent and destructive enough without us having to make more.

While we are making war with ourselves, we forget that nature alone is violent, and a battle of elements.

While we are making objects of beauty for ourselves, we forget that nature alone is beautiful and something to admire.

Have we forgotten reality is violent, depressing, intriguing and beautiful enough to overwhelm?

If we are no longer touched by the beauty of a change in season, no longer touched by the unique landscape that presents itself to us silently every day, and if we no longer rejoice in the ‘gentleness and cruelty of nature’, then perhaps we need reminding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home