Fleur Green

This is a record of my studies and travels from 2006.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Toho Gakuen Students

There are 35 percussion students at Toho Gakuen. 33 girls and 2 boys - this is very different to back home where I was one of 2 girls! They are all passionate, dedicated, kind and very helpful. They have been very supportive of me even though our communication is limited. I wish I spoke Japanese... Nevertheless, I'm managing to practice about 4 to 6 hours a day at school. Several of the students have their own marimba at home, and have said that if I feel I can't get enough practice time at Toho Gakuen, that they will share their personal marimba with me. I find their generosity very touching, and the team spirit over here is wonderful. I have been asked to do two duets in a concert over here in May with two of the students. One will be a Toru Takemitsu work. Since Mr Takemitsu passed away recently, there are many tribute concerts, and galleries with his works on display, which I am very keen to go to. I really love his music, and his percussion music is wonderful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fleurieu Peninsula Visual Artist said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home