Fleur Green

This is a record of my studies and travels from 2006.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Last Lesson


What a wonderful, sad and peaceful day. I had my last lesson. I played Emmanuel Sejourne's new Marimba Concerto for Abe Sensei. We had such a wonderful time enjoying this great piece of music. My accompanist Fukiko is a genuine soul, and we both love this piece. It was such a pure joy, I couldn't feel nervous, but just happy to play.

Abe Sensei and I have a special relationship. I feel that I understand not only what she says, but what she doesn't say. We share a great energy. Today, her special gift to honour our last lesson, was the first performance of her latest piece. It is a six mallet solo, and was inspired by a guitarist and the folk songs of Israel. Her improvisations and musical genius touch me on a deep level.
Her musical philosophy is highly Shintoist in some regards... Often inspired by the grandeur of nature. Just like the beautiful Japanese prints I saw in the Ueno National Gallery, and the Yokohama Gallery where humans are always depicted insignificantly small compared to the awesome stature of mountains, waterfalls, wind... the elements. I felt like there was loneliness in her music, but the influence of nature dwarfs these feelings to insignificance, so there is only peace.

I explained to Abe Sensei I felt pure happiness and peace from my time at Toho Gakuen, and was so grateful for the kindness and generosity of the Toho Students. We wept together as we feel we know each other. Here is our photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home